OreganoFromItaly.comOreganoFromItaly.com

 11/10/10 Pumpkin Cake

"Val piu la pratica della grammatica." (Experience is more important than theory.) Welcome to another recipe edition from Angela's Organic Oregano Farm!

This week's Italian recipes:
  -Mussels Au Gratin
  -Rigatoni with Mozzarella and Italian Sausage
  -Pumpkin Cake

"Ciao a tutti!" Hope you're all in good health and keeping warm this fall season. Enjoy this week's recipes.

Thanks again for subscribing!

Yours Truly,              
Angela Reina       


 Recipe: Mussels Au Gratin

Mussels Au Gratin
Cozze Gratinate

Ingredients:

2 and 1/4 lbs (1 kg) mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Large pinch of dried oregano
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
3 oz (80 grams) breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges, to garnish

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 200C (400F) Gas Mark 6.

Put the mussels in a frying pan and place over a high heat for about 5 minutes until they open.

As they open, remove from the frying pan and place the half-shells containing the mussels in a roasting tin.

Discard any that remain closed and the empty half-shells.

Sprinkle the mussels with the parsley, garlic and oregano, season with salt, drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.

Bake for 5 minutes, then transfer to a warm serving dish, season with pepper and garnish with the lemon wedges. Serves 4.

That's it!

Printer Friendly Version


 Recipe: Rigatoni with Mozzarella and Italian Sausage

Rigatoni with Mozzarella and Italian Sausage
Rigatoni con Mozzarella e Salsiccia Italiana

Ingredients:

1/2 pound rigatoni pasta
1/4 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 and 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
Extra-virgin olive oil

Directions:

Cook rigatoni in large pot of boiling salted water until 'al dente'.

Drain pasta.

Meanwhile, preheat broiler.

Cook sausage in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until no longer pink, stirring frequently and breaking up with back of wooden spoon.

Add garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes.

Drain off excess oil and return pot to medium-high heat.

Stir in marinara sauce and crushed red pepper, then pasta.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide pasta among four 1 and 1/4-cup souffle dishes or custard cups.

Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmigiano cheese over.

Place in broiler until cheese melts and begins to brown, watching closely to prevent burning, about 1 and 1/2 minutes.

Sprinkle rigatoni pasta with parsley, drizzle with olive oil, and serve. Makes 4 appetizer servings.

That's it!

Printer Friendly Version


 Recipe: Pumpkin Cake

Pumpkin Cake
Torta Di Zucca

Ingredients:

3 and 1/2 oz (100 grams) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
5 oz (150 grams) cooked pumpkin or canned pumpkin puree
7 oz (200 grams) caster or superfine sugar
2 eggs
8 oz (225 grams) self-raising flour
Grated rind of 1 lemon
8 Amaretti, crushed
5 tablespoons milk

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) Gas Mark 4.

Grease a cake tin with butter.

If using cooked pumpkin, pass it through a food mill.

Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl, then beat in the eggs until the mixture is light and fluffy.

Add the pumpkin puree, flour, lemon rind, Amaretti and milk. (The exact quantity of Amaretti may need to be adjusted to produce a soft mixture.)

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes.

Remove the cake from the oven, leave to cool and then turn out. Serves 6-8.

That's it!

Printer Friendly Version :: Submit Your Thoughts

 

 Only In Italy!

"Only In Italy" is a daily news column that translates & reports on funny but true news items from legitimate Italian news resources in Italy. Each story is slapped with our wild, often ironic, and sometimes rather opinionated comments. And now, for your reading pleasure, a sample of today's edition:

Earthquake Institute May Go Offline To Calm People Down

Rome - September 6, 2010 - Italy's eruptions and earthquake institute INGV may stop putting data on the Web because of the far-fetched conclusions some people are making, director Enzo Boschi said Monday.

"Our data on the Web are being used to reach conclusions that are frankly outlandish," Boschi said.

The National Geophysics and Volcanology Institute might have to restrict itself to more conventional ways of disseminating data, he said.

Civil Protection chief Guido Bertolaso said putting the latest data online "gives doom-mongers too much scope". Recently there has been limited seismological activity near the Abruzzo area hit by a catastrophic quake that killed 308 people in 2009.

People have gone online and panicked after reading alarmist assessments, despite reassurances that there isn't another big tremor on the way.

Hmmm...According to statistics, a 1/3 of Italians are semi-illiterate. They can't do simple tasks and have very little notion of history and science...and this includes the Napolitani. Don't have a tissy, folks. It's true. "Cazzarola", how are these Italians interpreting the assessments if most of them can't read their watch while sitting still at a red light?

You could just imagine the outlandish conclusions on the forums:

Naples: Napolitani! Stop drooling and read carefully! There was a tremor near the "Mount Etna" volcano in Sicily yesterday. So...this obviously means that our "Mount Vesuvius" is going to erupt any minute now seeing that volcanoes are connected with each other (my Uncle told me this). You want to end up like Pompeii?! "Minchia", empty your bank accounts and head for the hills!" (Tanino R.)

Pisa: I had lots of free time this week and decided to take a look at the latest readings from the INGV institute. "Cacchio", it doesn't look good. There's a 60% chance of a quake hitting the Leaning Tower. According to my calculations, there's an 80% chance it will lean even further (but not topple over) and a 17% chance it will completely straighten. There's also a 3% chance it will sink underground but that's ridiculous. By the way, I have a degree in Botanical Sciences but I took an extracurricular course in Greek mythology that made references to the ground shaking. (Angela S.)

Calabria: I was surfing the net with my "mago" or fortune teller (who I pay a fortune to every week) and we felt the ground shake a bit. I went over to the INGV site to see what the hell was happening and I saw a bunch of squiggly lines near my beloved Calabria. "Porca miseria", a major earthquake is on its way! My "mago" did not need to look at the screen for she knew it is coming. She told me leave immediately and go protect myself. After I paid the 150 Euro fee, I ran out the door and went to the safest place I know. I'm typing this on my Iphone while taking cover under my uncle's fat stomach. (Beppe F.)

"Only In Italy" Subscribe for free and day in and day out, 5 days a week, you'll have laughter, tears and intelligent commentary all blaring at you from your stupid little monitor. Click Here to Subscribe!



 Caterina Collezione, shop for Italian sterling silver directly from the factory in Italy; wedding gifts, anniversary gifts, flatware, plates, centerpieces, silverware, tea sets, dinnerware and more. All limited editions and made to order.
 SilverFromItaly.com

 Angela's Italian Organic Oregano is grown on a small mountain in Italy; an all natural herb, strictly certified organic, and shipped directly from Italy to you. It's the secret ingredient for all your Italian recipes.
 OreganoFromItaly.com

 Adriana's Homemade Italian Gourmet Cookies; Italian gourmet almond, fig, pistachio and sesame cookies baked and shipped from our bakery in Italy to you; all natural, fresh, and baked to order. Great Italian recipes!
 CookiesFromItaly.com

 Italian humor and news; visit and subscribe today and feed your sense of intellectual superiority by reading and wondering how Italy still survives after 56 governments in 50 years!
 Only In Italy.com

 Read Past Issues
 What's New?
 Order Our Oregano!
 People are Talking!
 History of Oregano
 Uses of Oregano
 Tour Our Oregano Farm
 Shipping
 Customer Service
 Our Certification
 About Angela
 Our Privacy Policy

 Submit Your Thoughts
 Email Angela


 Subscribe to the OreganoFromItaly.com feed! Subscribe!
 Add to My Yahoo!
 Add to My Google
 Add to My Netvibes

 Follow Angela on FB:
 Facebook


 Baked Polenta with Garlic
 Cauliflower and Lamb Pie
 Couscous with Vegetables
 Gnocchi with Mushroom Sauce
 Marbled Ring Cake
 Orecchiette with Red-Wine Veal Sauce
 Penne with Artichokes
 Porcini Mushrooms with Tarragon
 Rigatoni with Braised Lamb Ragu
 Sausage and Cheese Manicotti
 Spaghetti with Tuna & Fennel
 Veal Bocconcini with Porcini and Rosemary

 More Recipes!


Questions: Need more Italian recipes? How about Italian gift ideas? Or just plain Italian fun?

Subscribe to these interesting newsletters from our closest and trustworthy Italian affiliates located here in Italy? Just click the sites that may interest you and sign up:

 Silver From Italy.com
 Cookies From Italy.com
 Only In Italy.com

 


Copyright 2000-2009 FromItaly di Ciccarello. ISSN: 1724-7977. All Rights Reserved. Please read our Privacy Policy

This newsletter is powered by Libero. It no longer uses NOR does it recommend the services of Tiscali S.p.a.